CALL US: 1-304-598-1200
Auxiliary

History


In 1921, a group of women who were members of the Presbyterian Church’s Missionary Society surveyed their community and determined that it needed a hospital.  In response, they formed “The Women’s Hospital Association.” 

The women visited the County Court and obtained permission to establish a charity hospital in the unused portion of the county home. Mrs. R. H. Edmondson was temporary chair when the Women's Hospital Association was organized Dec. 2, 1921, and Mrs. S. Fuller Glasscock became the first president. The association purchased most of the original equipment for the 50-bed County Hospital, which opened Oct. 20, 1922.

The Association was active until 1933, but from 1933 to 1938, the women met only once a year to keep their charter. 

The County Court operated the hospital until 1943, during which time the women were not active. The court appointed trustees to operate the hospital April 12, 1943, and the trustees quickly asked for help.

Mrs. Friend E. Clark was authorized to form another auxiliary, and on Sept. 30, 1943, she called a meeting to organize the Women's Auxiliary of the Monongalia General Hospital. 

With Mrs. B. B. Laidley as president, the Auxiliary was reactivated Dec. 6, 1943, with 104 charter members. 
The organization currently consists of over 500 Auxiliary members, and the group has contributed in excess of $2 million to the hospital. 

Auxiliary members contribute many hours of service to raise money for the purchase of hospital equipment and furnishings. The Auxiliary's fundraising efforts include the "Ball of the Year", Restaurant Club Coupon Book, Baby Picture, Gift Shop, vending and special sales such as books, and gold jewelry. 

The Auxiliary pledged $1 million to the capital campaign of Mon Health Medical Center in 1992, to be paid over a five-year period. That commitment was fulfilled in September 1998. The Auxiliary was called on again to pledge, and again the Auxiliary welcomed the challenge. 

The Auxiliary pledged $1 million in fall 2005 to the capital campaign of Mon Health Medical Center to be paid over a five-year period. This pledge was paid Dec. 10, 2010. 

The Auxiliary pledged $1 million in spring 2012 to the "Campaign Continues." The pledge will be paid over a seven-year period.
Back to Top